Step by Step Directions for Criminal Background Checks
Set up an account. Each church needs to do this or the Conference would go nuts. Go to www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/forms. It's simple and will see you through all you need to do. There's no fee to do this. Once completed, fax the form to 608-267-4558. You will be assigned an account number and a PIN number. Keep these handy and safe.
Once you have those and a list of social security numbers/birthdates from your completed personal disclosure forms, you can simply ask for a criminal records check on the web site. It should take about 15 minutes. There's a step-by-step set of directions, but here's the condensed version.
* Go to http://wi-recordcheck.org/
* Scroll to the bottom after you review the first page information. When you click on "I understand" the page will advance.
* Choose "online record checks for account customers." It will take you to a secure site.
* You will get a logon screen. Enter youraccount number. Don't use any spaces or dashes.
* Enter your pin number.
* Ask for a general request type. The others are for day care providers.
* You are asking for a new request. It will give you a fill-in screen. Each name will cost the church $2.00.
* Hit "Add Another Request" until you have completed a page for each person you need to check.
* It will give you a synopsis of the names you have entered and the total cost. You can edit and double check at this point.
* Click "send requests" when everything is ready.
* You will get an order number so you can check for results. I got mine back almost immediately.
* Once you have the results, make a copy to keep for your records.
To secure a national background check:
* Go to http://www.intellicorp.net/
* Set up an account with them. There is no charge for this
* Each candidate search will cost $9.95.
* This search will encompass the entire U.S. and includes all 50 sex offender registries. Results are returned immediately.
These services are recommended and utilized by both Pilgrim Center and Moon Beach Camps.
Churches near the border with Illinois may need to run background checks through the Illinois State Police Department.
At their web site, (http://www.isp.state.il.us/) you will find directions for setting up an escrow account in order to obtain background checks. Essentially, you apply for an account. An application is submitted along with a check which will be drawn upon when a request for a background check is made. Once the account is established, background checks are available on-line for a fee of $10 each. They do not take credit cards.
You may check the Illinois Registry of Sex Offenders at http://www.isp.state.il.us//sor.
To establish an account and run a background check, the procedure is as follows:
- Go to www.ISP.State.IL.US/Services/ConvictionInquiries.htm
- Read the information provided.
- Complete the agreement form
- Send the agreement form and your check to:
Illinois State Police
Bureau of Identification
260 N. Chicago Street
Civil Processing Unit
Joliet IL 60432
- Follow directions for entering required data (name, date of birth, sex, race)
- Follow directions for retrieving results.
For Customer Service, call 815-740-5164 or 815-740-5185.
Forms available at: http://www.state.ia.us/government/dps/dci/crimhist.htm or from Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, Iowa 50319.
Offender search: http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/main.asp
Criminal records: Written requests to: Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, 246 University Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104-4197; (651) 642-0670. $4.